Horizon 2020 is the biggest EU research and innovation programme ever. Almost €80 billion of funding is available over seven years (2014 to 2020), in addition to private and national public investment.
The EU has identified seven priority challenges where targeted investment in research and innovation can have a real impact benefitting citizens:
- Health, demographic change and wellbeing;
- Food security, sustainable agriculture and forestry, marine and maritime and inland water research and the bio-economy;
- Secure, clean and efficient energy;
- Smart, green and integrated transport;
- Climate action, environment, resource efficiency and raw materials;
- Europe in a changing world – inclusive, innovative and reflective Societies;
- Secure societies – protecting freedom and security of Europe and its citizens.
For more information on the Horizon 2020, you can contact your network or national focal point.
Third Health Programme 2014-2020
The third EU health programme is the main instrument the European Commission uses to implement the EU health strategy. It is implemented though annual work plans, which set out priority areas and the criteria for funding actions under the programme. The total budget for the programme is €449.4 million. More info
The programme has the following four overarching objectives:
- Promote health, prevent diseases and foster supportive environments for healthy lifestyles taking into account the ‘health in all policies’ principle,
- Protect EU citizens from serious cross-border health threats,
- Contribute to innovative, efficient and sustainable health systems,
- Facilitate access to better and safer healthcare for Union citizens.
- All regions can participate.
- The programme is open to public institutions, research institutes and universities, NGOs, commercial firms.
- The 3rd Health Programme is administered byCHAFEA.
For more information on the 3rd Health Programme, you can contact your national focal point.
European Fund for Structural Investment (EFSI) – or the Juncker Plan
The European Fund for Strategic Investments (EFSI) is an initiative to help overcome the current investment gap in the EU. Jointly launched by the EIB Group and the European Commission, it aims to mobilise private investment in projects which are strategically important for the EU.
- The Investment Plan for Europe State of Play 2016 – European Commission infographic (July 2016)
- European Structural Investment Funds and European Fund for Strategic Investments complementarities – ensuring coordination, synergies and complementarity– European Commission brochure (February 2016)
- The European Fund for Strategic Investments as a New Type of Budgetary Instrument – In-depth analysis (European Parliament, January 2017)
Social Impact Bonds
Information available soon.
Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF)
Information available soon.