The project gathers knowledge on how the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) are used to support health investments under the 2014-2020 programming period, and further develops capacities of Member States and regions to support the effective implementation of ESIF for health.
The specific objectives of the project are (1) to complement the existing knowledge on ESIF 2014-2020 investments for health on the basis of specific ESIF co-funded projects, (2) to assess how ESIF 2014-2020 investments for health can contribute to implementing EU health policy goals, and (3) to further develop capacities of relevant actors in EU Member States and regions to support the effective and consistent implementation of ESIF for health.
ESI Funds for Health focuses on six key areas, which contribute to the wider health policy in Europe:
- Improving access to healthcare
- Support to reform processes towards effective and resilient health systems, particularly the transition to community-based care
- Uptake of e-health and digital solutions
- Research and innovation in health and life sciences
- Active and healthy ageing, healthy workforce, health promotion and disease prevention
- Health workforce
The project will produce
- Country Factsheets for each Member State
- Six thematic mapping documents
- Report on Interreg Projects
- Six Workshops and a Final Conference
- ESI Funds for Health Report
The project is managed by the Consumers, Health and Food Executive Agency (CHAFEA) on behalf of the European Commission Directorate-General for Health and Food Safety (DG SANTE) and coordinated by Milieu Ltd. EuroHealthNet leads the work on the areas 1, 2 and 5.
Prior to ESI Funds for Health, DG Sante funded a project seeking to provide help in EU Members States and promote implementation of ESIF actions as well as a positive impact on population’s health. It produced a Mapping report summarising health investments from EU Structural Funds under 2007-2013 and planned use of European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF) in the 2014-2020 programming period, Guide for effective use of ESIF in health as well as a set of technical tools.
More projects can be found in the project database.